How one woman found yoga, eased her inner hunger, and started loving herself. Follow Kimber as she shares her journey to loving her body, the joys and sorrows of yoga teaching, and venturing into the wilderness of writing and publishing.

Friday, April 2, 2010

Jumping Into the Abyss of Fullness

Seven weeks ago I took a huge leap into the abyss of completing my book, and it looks like I'm coming in for a safe landing, only two more chapters to go. Actually, as terrifying and exhilarating as hang-gliding might be, it doesn't feel like the best metaphor for my writing... bushwhacking, avoiding traps, taking wrong turns, losing the map, making up a new one, forgetting to see the forest for the trees... these metaphors have accompanied me like old friends on a long, winding hike. But the process of actually finishing my book has been empowering beyond words, like that feeling when you step into the clearing at the crest of the hill and take in the wide expanse of beauty that fills your eyes and heart. It's also tempered by knowing the top of the crest is only the halfway point... you've got to save enough energy for the path back, which for the book includes editing, revising, finding an agent, and publisher, and on and on! I'll need everyone's manifesting energy to help make this a reality, so remember me in your quiet moments. And just so you have an idea what exactly you're helping me manifest: the book is called Finding Fullness, the story of how yoga helped me overcome the residual effects of having had an eating disorder when I was a teenager. I found that by using my spiritual practice to explore the nature of my hunger and my negative body-image, I discovered I could commit myself to loving my body and the world in a deeper way than I ever imagined possible. Let's celebrate manifesting our dreams together!